From: Kavin Dotson
Date: Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:36 PM
Subject: 2017 Great California ShakeOut
On October 19, 2017, all schools and district offices will participate in the 2017 Great California ShakeOut.
Please review the attached, "ShakeOut 2017 Memo" for procedures and important information regarding the drill.
Do not hesitate to contact me if you would like additional information.
Kavin Dotson, Ed.D.
Director, Student Services
Lynwood Unified School District
Out In 2:17
Role Taken In 3:09
CA Great Shake Out
Once again our district will participate in the Great California ShakeOut Drill. This drill is conducted annually to encourage schools, communities, and organizations to review and update emergency response procedures in the event of an earthquake. On October 19TH at 10:19 A.M., millions of people worldwide will practice how to Drop, Cover, and Hold On during the Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drill.
The purpose of this drill includes:
• Practice safe Drop, Cover, and Hold On procedures at each school
• Review and practice staff disaster response
• Test efficiency of communication and response with each school during the drill
• District office staff will practice safe Drop, Cover, and Hold On procedures, evacuate
offices, and follow procedures according to the district’s emergency operations plan
• Identify additional needs in the areas of training, communication, and logistics in the
event of a major earthquake
On October 19, 2017, at 10:19 A.M., all schools and offices in Lynwood Unified School District will participate in the Great California ShakeOut. Please adhere to the following:
1. Please inform all staff in advance of the 2017 Great CA ShakeOut Drill.
2. October 19, 2017, at 10:19 A.M., conduct a simulation earthquake drill of a 7.8
magnitude earthquake for approximately 2 minutes. (Schools and offices may create a
scenario for the 7.8 magnitude earthquake)
3. During the simulated earthquake, everyone will practice safe Drop, Cover, and Hold
On procedures. Once the shaking has stopped, all district staff and students will
evacuate buildings in a safe and orderly manner to their designated assembly area.
4. LUSD Security Operations will coordinate communication and response with each
school during the drill.
Thank you in advance for your participation in this exercise. Please post one of the attached flyers in all classrooms and offices.
Dear, Principal Raymond J. Schmidt:
Thank you for renewing your registration for The Great California ShakeOut! Because you have registered a large number of participants, your profile will be reviewed before your organization is included on lists or in the total number of participants.
Here are some tools and tips to help you plan and promote the best drill possible:
1) See the Resources page for drill broadcasts, web graphics, earthquake safety guides, and drill manuals.
2) Spread the word on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms with #ShakeOut! And follow us, too:
3) Learn from and share the Earthquake Safety Video Series with co-workers, family, and friends!
If at any time you need to update your information, please go to http://www.shakeout.org/california/login/ and enter your e-mail address and your password.
If you have other questions about your registration, or the ShakeOut in general, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Partner Resources and Information
California Earthquake Authority:
Educate. Mitigate. Insure.
The not-for-profit CEA now has more coverage choices, deductible options, and affordable rates. Choose a policy to meet your needs and budget today.